Friday, June 6, 2008

My heart can't take it!

I have no picture of the heart breaking scene as I was to busy trying not to cry and puke but today was the day that Skye drew blood.

Skye and I were going through our regular morning routine. All was going good - Skye had eaten and was walking around and I was finishing a bowl of cereal when all of a sudden I heard a loud SMACK and SCREAM. I think my heart stopped! I ran over to Skye and picked her up and saw blood coming out of her mouth. I honestly didn't know what to do other then hold her and tell myself not to pass out or throw up. My stomach had gone completely wobbly thinking that she had lost a tooth or chipped one. It took ever ounce of will power I had to look. Lucky for both of us ( mostly her) all was fine after about a 1/2 hour of crying.

When we both returned home from her day at the dayhome and mine at work I was a little over protective of her and kept a close eye on her. I sat down for one second and you will never believe it I heard another load SMACK and SCREAM. Yes it happened again. More blood from the mouth. Honestly I think I just about had a nervous break down. Again all turned out to be fine and more quickly as well since Daddy was there to make her smile but I am going to remove all our carpet and linoleum and put in cotton balls as our flooring.

I chalk this day up to me learning that I would do anything to not have my child feel pain as well as I am a sissy when it comes to Blood. At least I was capable of giving a million hugs and kisses.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grampa Bateman's theory is that little ones should come outfitted with helmets, face guards, knee pads, thick gloves and any other kind of body armor that will help. It's not easy being little!!

Alli said...

I feel for you Kirsti! Jeffer bashed the back of his head open when he slipped on wet cement a couple of weeks ago and I seriously got woozy and faint cleaning it up to see the damage. I had to sit down and I was seeing stars. And when Pete was at the hospital and they were drawing blood for tests the same thing happened. I used to think I was tough, but when it comes to my kids being injured. . . That's the worst, I'd much rather have it be me! I'm sure Skye will bash herself a lot more in years to come, perhaps you should keep smelling salts on hand?

The Whiddens said...

Oh no! What a day that poor little gal had :(
And I laughed at Alli's comment - smelling salts - that's a good idea!

Kent Kate & Afton said...

Oh!!! Poor sweetie! Afton falls a lot too. (I think most little kids do) There was one day when Afton had about 5 bruises on her face from falling. I felt like I had to explain that she fell a lot and that I didn't beat her.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my poor little baby!!! She however probably recovered from each fall faster than her mother...Sorry you had to go thru this Kirsti.. Welcome to 'motherhood'. I remember when Brad got is toe caught in a heavy store door in Florida. I felt sick having to take him to ER.
Love to you all, Omi

tessa said...

Steve is still recovering from Brighton bashing her head on a nighstand one night while he was watching her. (She's 6 and was 1 when it happened.) It's not a good feeling but glad all was fine in the end.

rumplejane said...

I know the feeling as Skyler has knocked his head on the crib several times and the hysterics break loose! Never any blood yet, but I know it would break my heart. Good philosophy ... Cotton Balls everywhere!

The Whiddens said...

POST SOMETHING NEW! I miss you guys :( And I need to see some pictures of sweet little Skye so I don't feel like I am missing out on her growing up!

Alli said...

Yeah, for reals! I miss seeing you guys too! But I did watch the water slide video on youtube and got to see Kirsti, so that was good. However, I would like to see more!!! We are so sad to be stuck here in the heat and miss out on the fun reunion, please post pictures of it so we can feel even sadder for missing it :(